"RACISM. IT STOPS WITH ME" aims to
- Ensure more Australians recognise that racism is unacceptable in our community
- Give more Australians the tools & resources to take practical action against racism
- Empower individuals & organisations to prevent & respond effectively to racism
All across Australia, there are people and organisations doing great things to reduce and prevent racism. This campaign isn’t about reinventing the wheel: we want to learn from past achievements and challenges. Our consultations have told us that it’s often the people working on the ground within local communities or specific environments who have the best understanding of the issues and ideas of how to overcome them. We believe that the most effective way to make a difference in the incidence of racism is to encourage and coordinate these efforts.
- Ask organisations to commit to the campaign and develop their own anti-racism activities
- Ask individuals to become part of a community of people who are committed to leading by example
- Offer advice and assistance to supporters in implementing their anti-racism activities
- Provide a central coordination point for activities happening across Australia
- Develop materials to assist in the promotion of anti-racism messages
- Develop education tools for a range of audiences
- Share good practice examples for others to learn from and build on
- Facilitate linkages and partnerships between our supporter organisations.
By doing this, we hope to create a culture where people are able to identify racism and have the confidence and tools to act appropriately when it does occur.